Potato Cheese Balls
Makes about 25 balls:
- 3 large Red Potatoes, 450 g (1 pound) raw and unpeeled
- 100 g (3,5 oz) Mozzarella Cheese
- 50 g (1/2 cup) Parmigiano Reggiano (or Parmesan), freshly grated Black Pepper
- 3 Eggs
- 50 g (1/2 cup) All Purpose Flour
- 200 g (about 2 cups) Homemade Breadcrumbs
- 5 g (1 tbsp) Paprika
Discover Other Moroccan Meals
- Peel potatoes and soak in cold water to remove starch excess.
- Cut potatoes in big chunks.
- Boil potato chunks in salted water until fork tender.
- Meanwhile slice Mozzarella cheese and cut it in small cubes (about 0,5 cm – 0,2 inch).
- Place mozzarella cubes over a kitchen paper and press one kitchen paper over to absorb water excess. Set aside.
- Prepare the breading: in three separate medium size bowls palce flour, beaten eggs and bread crumbs.
- Combine the bread crumbs with salt, black pepper and paprika. Set aside.
- Prepare potato balls: drain boiled potatoes and place them in heat proof bowl.
- While still hot, place them in a potato ricer and push them (or you can use a potato masher).
- Grate Parmigiano Reggiano in the warm mashed potatoes, season with pepper and mix until well combine.
- Add salt to taste.
- Use a tablespoon to take equal portions of potato mixture and form into balls (every ball will be about 16 g – 0,5 oz).
- Make a hole in the center of every ball and fill it with cubed Mozzarella cheese. You’ll get about 25 balls.
- Coat each ball in Flour first, then dip into beaten Eggs, then roll into Bread Crumbs mix, then deep into Eggs again and one last time into Bread Crumbs mix.
- Place all the breaded balls in a baking tray lined with parchment paper and place them in refrigerator until heat the oil.
- Fill a large pot with vegetable oil (I used Peanut Oil) and heat over medium heat until it reaches 350° F (175° C).
- Deep fry potato balls until golden brown, for about 4 minutes. Be careful not to over-fry them because the Mozzarella may ooze out completely.
- Drain the balls on a paper towel.
- Season with salt and serve immediately with your favourite sauce.